CL Cares Utah Food Bank Volunteer Day & "Pound For Pound" Program
May 2009 -At the completion of a company-wide 3 month weight-loss completion, CLEARLINK decided to share the rewards of their fitness success with those in our community that are less fortunate during these tough economic times. With the CLEARLINK Cares Pound for Pound program, the company matched every pound of body fat loss and muscle mass gain with a $1 donation to the Utah Food Bank. The CLEARLINK donation was able to purchase over $4000 worth of food for the Utah Food Bank.
Some facts about Hunger in Utah:
- Currently 1 in 10 Utahans live in poverty. A family of four living in poverty makes just over $20,600 a year to cover health care expenses, shelter, food and other household expenses (U.S. Census Bureau, 2007).
- Utah is ranked 4th in the nation for the highest rate of food insecurity. More than 345,700 individuals are at risk of missing or skipping a meal due to a lack of resources (US. Department of Agriculture, Household Food Security in the United States, 2007).
- Over 134,000 Utahans receive food stamps, which are not even half of those who are eligible (U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2005).
- In Utah, over 63,000 people a month eat dinner at a soup kitchen (Utahans Against Hunger, 2006).
- 1 in 8 children in Utah live in poverty (U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Survey, 2005 Annual Social, and Economic Supplement).
- Nearly 300,000 Utah children receive free or reduced lunch -that's about 40% of all school-age children (U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2004).
- Two factors associated with poverty are lack of education and inadequate family income. Families living at or below the federal poverty level are 5 times more likely to be food insecure than other families (Children's Sentinel Nutrition Assessment Program (C-SNAP), 2005).
- Household heads that have less than a high school education were highly likely to become food insecure and the remain food insecure. Each additional year of schooling is associated with a 2.5-percent decline in entry into food insecurity ("Persistence and Change in the Food Security of Families with Children" by Sandra Hoffert, 2005). www.utahfoodbank.org
United Way Day of caring - www.uw.org/dayofcaring
Habitat for Humanity - www.habitatsaltlake.com